How Do I Protect Myself When Gambling?
- Check that the casino is licensed and its license is held with respected regulatory bodies.
- When using Bitcoin be aware that due to low regulations, casinos can be unscrupulous.
- Check social media and websites for comments, reports and negative feedback from players.
- If using Bitcoin to transact, be vigilant and only deposit set amounts. Make sure you are in control of your own wallet and private keys at all times.
- Transact accurately and with caution. This is particularly important with Bitcoin as transactions cannot be reversed.
- Keep track of your spending and only play with the amount initially budgeted for. Do not chase after losses or play with money that is allocated to other areas of your budget.
- Gambling is not supposed to keep you from your routine daily activities. Monitor the time you spend gambling.
Gambling is intended to be for pleasure and not as a way of escaping from financial or personal difficulties.
Stay In Control
First and foremost be of sober mind. Make sure that you are alert and cognizant of what you are doing at all times.
Bitcoin casino operators often provide additional support and tools for helping you to remain in control. Be sure to check that these are available before depositing.
- Use a game session timer to stop your play after a certain period.
- Set deposit limits before starting your session.
- Set betting limits to limit the maximum of each bet.
- Many casinos will allow these limits to bet set at registration.
In cases where these tools aren’t available at a casino, setting personal limits can be a huge source of safety.
- Never gamble under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
- Decide on an exact budget limit and stop when this is spent.
- Set a time limit and when the time is up, stop regardless of the current outcome.
- Make sure you are armed with knowledge. Look up all the gambling terms, odds, house rules and so on. Knowledge is power!
Under Age Gambling
People under the age of 18 are strictly forbidden from gambling. Parents who gamble have a duty to monitor to protect their child from underage gambling.
- Use a device that your child does not have access to when gambling online.
- Log out of gambling accounts when leaving a device unattended.
- Ensure all internet connected devices are password protected.
- Provide education to your child to warn them of the risks of gambling.
How Do I know If I am a Problem Gambler?
If you are concerned that gambling may be becoming an issue for you or a loved one, please read through the following questionnaire to help you assess the situation.
- Does gambling prevent you from attending work or study facilities?
- Do others comment on your gambling?
- Do you gamble for extended periods of time, often longer than intended?
- Have you lost interest in family friends and hobbies due to gambling?
- When you are bored or frustrated, do you want to gamble?
- Have you ever lied about how often you gamble or how much you spend gambling?
- Do you chase your losses?
- If you run out of money, do you borrow to try to win back your losses?
- Does gambling make you depressed or even suicidal?
The more yes answers that you have, the more likely it is that you are slipping into a dangerous pattern with gambling and it’s strongly recommended that you contact one of the support providers below. Don’t be afraid to seek help.
Where Can I Get Help?
Responsible gambling is taken very seriously by gambling regulatory bodies and there is much being done to make information and assistance available to gamblers.
The first step always starts with admitting there is an issue and making restrictions on oneself.
Should you feel that gambling may be consuming you or your finances, casinos offer self-exclusion options usually as 3 different distancing programs.
- 7 day period of no play
- 1 month period no play
- 6 month period no play
If you have found yourself playing at a Bitcoin casino that does not have one of these distancing programs, use any one of these methods to block access.
Further to this other options are:
- Block Bitcoin exchanges
- Set limit and loss limits prior to starting
- Unsubscribe from casino promotions and other related push notifications
- Contact support at the casino for advice and assistance
Organizations that can help: